Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The All-Night Flight

I never really realized what the flight to Hong Kong would be like. Basically, it becomes an endless night. We left LAX at 11:50 pm--the early flight. Apparently there is a later flight around 1 am. So, we were waiting at the airport for several hours during the evening, boarded the flight, and were served dinner about an hour into the flight. The seats meanwhile seemed more uncomfortable than any other flight I've ever taken--narrower, flimsier cushions, and lots of things poking up. Nevertheless, due to a general lack of sleep the night before, I was able to catch some zzz's, though with a lot of interruptions. When I woke up for good, it was still night with a lot more night still to come!

Eventually, we arrived in Hong Kong at 5 am, but there was no spectacular view of the city from the plane. I learned that everyone who arrives has to queue up to go through a security checkpoint before they are allowed to go to their next departure gate...something that no one seemed to bother to mention, but that all the other passengers seemed to know! There is also a fever checkpoint--everyone is screened with a heat sensor as you walk by in order to find those who are sporting a fever, so don't think you'll be able to slip past if you're feeling unwell!

I have heard that blogs are being blocked in China, so I don't know whether I will be able to post or not. I have heard of a few fixes, but I won't know if they work until I get there! If not, I may have to do a monster post when we leave. Check in now and then to see if I've managed to evade the government dragnet!

No comments:

Post a Comment